If you were planning on spending your summer camping, fishing, or hiking, you’ll want to make sure the open space area you’re planning to visit is actually open. Thanks to persistent drought conditions and a series of active fires burning in New Mexico, Cibola National Forest and Grasslands Supervisor Nancy Rose announced that most of the Sandia and Magdalena Ranger Districts will be closed to the public until October 31, 2011 or until conditions improve enough to lower the fire danger in those areas.
A few locations, like the Sandia Peak Ski and Tram areas along with the Doc Long (front only), Cienega Canyon, Sulphur Canyon and Pine Flat, and Balsam Glad day use sites, will remain open.
- Southwest Coordination Center: http://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/
- National Interagency Fire Center: www.nifc.gov
- National Incident Information Center:www.fs.fed.us/news/fire
- FireWise: www.firewise.org
- Regional Fire Restrictions Hotline: 1-877-864-6985